The American Heart Association/American Stroke Association, recently awarded Florida Hospital Zephyrhills advanced certification as a Primary Stroke Center. We have also been designated a Comprehensive Stroke Center by the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA).
The Brain and Spine Institute offers a dedicated stroke team, available 24-hours a day, seven days a week. This team includes academic neurosurgeons from USF Health, neuro-interventional radiologists, board-certified neurologists and emergency physicians, and stroke-certified registered nurses to coordinate care from triage to diagnosis to treatment to recovery. As a Comprehensive Stroke Center, we combine advanced care with cutting-edge technology to quickly and effectively treat individuals suffering a stroke. From aggressive treatment in the Emergency Department to rehabilitation and wellness, our Comprehensive Stroke Center includes:
- Emergency Department physicians and staff trained in diagnosing and treating stroke
- Skilled neurosurgeons on staff
- A neuro-interventional radiologist on staff
- Imaging services available 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Rehabilitation services
- A stroke support group
- Stroke prevention and wellness
Rehabilitation is a vital element of recovery for many stroke survivors, helping them return to independent living. Although rehab doesn’t reverse the effects of stroke, it can build patients’ strength, capability and confidence, helping them resume daily activities and change, relearn and redefine how they live.
Our rehabilitation team is focused on helping patients become independent in many areas, including:
- Self-care skills such as feeding, grooming, bathing and dressing
- Mobility skills such as walking or self-propelling a wheelchair
- Communications skills in speech and language
- Cognitive skills such as memory or problem-solving
- Social skills for interacting with other people
Your rehabilitation will begin when your doctor determines that you are medically stable and able to benefit. Our rehab services are provided in many different places, including acute care and rehabilitation hospitals, long-term care facilities, at home and in outpatient facilities.
In your rehabilitation program, specialists will provide a treatment program specifically geared toward your individual needs. The services you will receive will depend on your treatment needs. These services may include one or more of the following:
- Rehabilitation nursing
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Speech-language pathology
- Recreational therapy
- Nutritional care
- Rehabilitation counseling
- Social work
- Patient/family education
- Support groups
For more information about our comprehensive stroke and rehabilitation care, call us today at (813) 782-2946.