October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, and in recognition, Florida Hospital Waterman is Pinking Out to help promote the importance of breast health and the early detection of breast cancer. Now through the end of October, the hospital is hosting a number of activities and educational events to encourage members of the community to get involved and take action.
• Florida Hospital Waterman Pinking Ceremony: Thursday, September 27 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. when the hospital’s signature fountain will be tinted pink and the canopy lit in the same shade in honor of the many lives touched by breast cancer. Attendees can bring a new bra for donation to Haven of Lake and Sumter Counties, and for each donated bra they will be entered into a drawing for one of the grand prizes. There will also be a number of community partners available with free goodies. The celebration will feature health education and resources.
• Join the Flock: The Florida Hospital Waterman Foundation is giving the community an opportunity to raise awareness at home and around town by joining the flock! For $10, donors get a flamingo to place in their yard while another is placed in flocks around Lake County. Purchase the flamingos from Artisans on Fifth in Mt. Dora, Danny Len Buick GMC, at the Florida Hospital Waterman Gift Shop or online at www.FHWatermanPink.com. Donors can also honor a loved one impacted by breast cancer by donating $10 for a pink ribbon adorned with their name. The ribbons will hang on the pink trees in the main atrium at the Florida Hospital Waterman entrance and will be on display through the end of October. The contributions help raise breast health awareness while providing financial and educational support for early detection and screening.
• Discounted Mammograms: During the month of October, Florida Hospital Waterman is offering self-pay patients discounted screening mammograms for only $30. Early detection saves lives, and all women over the age of 40 should have an annual mammogram. Visit FHWatermanPink.com for more information and to schedule your mammography today.
• Ask The Experts: Join Borys Mascarenhas, MD, FACS, a board-certified breast cancer surgeon, and Peter Marzek, MD, FACS, a board-certified plastic surgeon, as they discuss the newest research into the causes of breast cancer and minimizing your risk as well as what to expect if diagnosed. This event will be held at the Comfort Inn & Suites in Tavares, Florida on Tuesday, October 9th from 1 – 2 p.m. It is free and open to the public. RSVP at FHWatermanPink.com.
• Pink Out 5K: Florida Hospital Waterman hosts the 5th Annual Pink Out 5K Run/Walk on Thursday, October 18th at 6 p.m. It’s an evening 5K for the entire family in downtown Tavares. Proceeds help promote breast cancer awareness, diagnosis and treatment including mammograms for women in need. Early registration is $25 until Oct. 9th. $30 registration Oct. 9th through race day. You can register for the race by visiting FHWatermanPink.com.
• Ladies Legacy Luncheon: Join the Florida Hospital Waterman Foundation on Friday, October 12, at Lake Receptions in Mt. Dora for the Ladies Legacy Luncheon. This year, Kristin Beall Ludeke, former Miss Florida and a cancer survivor, will be sharing her inspiring story. With your $30 ticket you will enjoy lunch, a variety of vendors, ticket drop auction, photo booth, 50/50 and demonstrations and the company of many women uniting under an important cause. Exhibitor Booths will be open starting at 10 a.m., and the Luncheon Program will begin at 11:30 a.m. Proceeds support Florida Hospital Waterman Emergency Services and Cancer Care. Don’t forget to wear pink to show your support!
Several other community opportunities include:
• Spirit Night at Tijuana Flats in Mount Dora on October 1st and 22nd from 5-8pm. A portion of all purchases will be donated to cancer care services at Florida Hospital Waterman.
• Purchase a car at Danny Len Buick GMC in October and a portion of the proceeds will be donated to Cancer Care at Florida Hospital Waterman.
• Purchase a Lava Wash at SuperWash Express in Mount Dora during October.
• Mount Dora Pink Ride and Health Fair on October 4th from 10am-5pm will offer health education and pink giveaways.
For a complete listing of events visit FHWatermanPink.com.