There are few things more frightening than a cancer diagnosis. At Florida Hospital Waterman, we have the cutting-edge technologies and medical expertise to help our patients through every stage of the process, from diagnosis to treatment, all in a compassionate, friendly, patient-centered environment.
The Florida Hospital Waterman Cancer Institute is a cancer program dedicated to providing our patients with the most advanced treatment and care available in Central Florida. Accredited as a comprehensive community cancer program by the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer, we offer both radiation oncology and medical oncology. Our team of board-certified surgeons has the only fellowship-trained surgical oncologist in Lake County, so you know that you or your loved one is receiving only the best in medical and surgical care. What’s more, a multi-disciplinary team of experts works together, examining every patient’s individual condition to formulate the best possible treatment plan.
Our cancer institute also features the Cancer Resource Library, your source for a vast collection of cancer-related books, brochures, videos and articles about diagnosis, prevention, treatment and research. All of these resources are available for free and are open to the public—just part of our commitment to improving the health of our community.
State-of-the-Art Diagnostic Services
Our commitment to providing patients with the best cancer care begins with offering the best possible diagnostic services. These cutting-edge diagnostic techniques include:
- Positron Emission Tomography (PET) Scanning
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Breast MRI with Biopsy Capability
- Computed Tomography (CT) Scanning
- Digital Mammography
- Sentinel Lymph Node Mapping
- CT-Guided Tissues Biopsies
- Nuclear Medicine
- Hemostasis Testing
- Molecular Diagnostics
- Access to Flow Cytometry
- BRCA Testing
Advanced Treatment Services
If you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you want to know that your hospital has access to the state-of-the-art treatments that give you the best possible chance at a full recovery. At the Florida Hospital Waterman Cancer Institute, we have you covered. Our cutting-edge technologies and expertise enable us to devise treatment plans based on the needs of each individual patient.
These services include:
- Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT)
- Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
- Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation (APBI)
- Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
- Chemotherapy (inpatient and outpatient)
- Radiation Therapy (inpatient and outpatient)
- High-Dose Rate Brachytherapy
- Surgical Oncology (inpatient and outpatient)
- Prostate Seed Implantation
- Targeted and Biological Therapies (monoclonal antibodies, Interferon, Interleukin, etc.)
- Clinical Trials (treatment protocols for the newest cancer therapies)
- Hematologic and Coagulation Evaluation and Treatment
- Access to genetic counseling, bone marrow transplantation, gynecologic oncology, pediatric oncology, neuro-oncology and Gamma Knife radiosurgery through the Florida Hospital Cancer Institute
The medical staff at Florida Hospital Waterman is a team of board-certified surgeons, including the only fellowship-trained surgical oncologist in Lake County. These surgical specialists provide modern, individualized care.
The experienced, board-certified medical oncologists and hematologists on medical staff at Florida Hospital Waterman have extensive experience in evaluating and treating all forms of adult cancers and blood disorders. They utilize the most current systemic therapies in accordance with the most up-to-date national and international guidelines, in addition to offering access to a number of cancer-specific clinical trials.
Multidisciplinary Cancer Conferences
Patients whose treatments require multidisciplinary input may be presented in the Cancer Institute’s weekly cancer conference. Attended by a surgical oncologist, general surgeons, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, radiologists, pathologists, and other clinicians, this conference allows comprehensive review of all diagnostic data and facilitates in-depth inter-specialty discussion to allow formulation of individualized treatment plans within the context of national guidelines for cancer care.