Before any medical therapy or procedure, it’s important to know the risks. Ventilator treatment side effects and risks include both serious and minor complications.
These are a few of the risks of ventilator treatment:
- Infections—bacteria can more easily get inside the lungs
- Sinus infection—this is more common when tubes are placed through the nose/mouth
- Collapsed lung—a weak part of the lung becomes too full of air and begins to leak
- Lung damage—air pressure in the lungs can injure the tissue
- Side effects of medication—medications may be needed to sedate the patient and carry their own risks
- Oxygen toxicity—high levels of oxygen can damage lung tissue
- Damage to the vocal cords
Florida Hospital works to limit and eliminate the risks and side effects of ventilator treatment.