To reduce the likelihood of developing another UTI, a patient may consider the following:
- Drink plenty of water every day.
- Drink cranberry juice. Large amounts of vitamin C inhibit the growth of some bacteria by acidifying the urine. Vitamin C supplements have the same effect.
- Urinate when you feel the need and do not resist the urge to urinate.
- Wipe from front to back to prevent bacteria around the anus from entering the vagina or urethra.
- Take showers instead of tub baths.
- Cleanse the genital area before/after sexual intercourse.
- Avoid using feminine hygiene sprays and scented douches.
- Repeated bouts of urinary tract infections can be treated with small doses of regular antibiotics.
Please consult your physician with any questions or concerns you may have regarding this condition.