Knowing the facts and statistics on type 1 diabetes helps patients differentiate the forms of the condition. It’s important to understand the basics of the condition in order to pinpoint symptoms and determine the best treatment plan.
These are some of the facts on type 1 diabetes:
• Diabetes affects nearly 25 million people in the US.
• Type 1 diabetes accounts for only 5-10% of these cases.
• Symptoms occur suddenly and cannot be prevented.
• Doctors do not know what causes the immune system to attack the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas.
• Most patients with type 1 diabetes must take insulin injections (or wear an ‘insulin pump’) everyday for life to manage the condition.
• It usually develops in children and young adults, but can happen at any age.
• A cure is not known.