Lung cancer is the number one cause of cancer deaths in the United States according to the Centers of Disease Control (CDC), causing more deaths than breast, prostrate, and colon cancers combined. When diagnosed in its early stages, lung cancer yields an 88% survival rate at ten years, versus just 16% at five years when found in later stages. And because 85 to 90 percent of lung cancer cases are caused by smoking, it is one of the most preventable forms of cancer.
Unfortunately, there are no obvious symptoms to diagnose lung cancer, as most are similar to a chest cold or a mild flu. Symptoms can include:
- Persistent cough that won’t go away
- Shortness of breath
- Frequent lung infections
- Weight Loss
- Coughing up blood
The Florida Hospital Tampa Lung Institute offers state-of-the-art technology and a dedicated and compassionate staff for the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of lung cancer.
Lung Cancer Services
- Low Dose CT scan screening with CT/PET/MRI
- Diagnosis and staging
- Guided fine needle aspiration bronchoscopy
- Electromagnetic Navigation Bronchoscopy® (ENB) with endobronchial ultrasound
- Pleural diagnostic procedures such as medical pleuroscopy, outpatient thoracentesis and video-assisted thoracoscopy
- Case manager and social worker available for home care
- Lung nodule clinic to diagnose, stage and monitor lung nodules with outpatient, minimally invasive approaches
- Management of complications such as malignant effusion with PleuRx catheter
- Treatment of airway obstructions caused by cancer using endoscopic techniques and endobronchial stenting
- State-of-the-art treatments such as surgical VATS, minimally invasive da Vinci® robotic surgery and Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
- Long-term follow up of therapy, surveillance, airway management, and end-of-life care
- Rehabilitation programs, support groups, nutritional counseling and behavior health care
To learn more about lung cancer diagnosis and treatment or to schedule an appointment, please call us at (855) FHT-LUNG (348-5864).