Our Florida Hospital Tampa Surgical Weight Loss Institute provides a comprehensive approach to weight loss and includes both surgical and non-surgical options. Our focus on education and support begins with your first contact with us and extends well after your surgery. Our board certified weight loss surgeon leads a team of surgical specialists dedicated to helping you lose weight.
The Florida Hospital Tamp Surgical Weight Loss Institute has been accredited as a Comprehensive Center under the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP), a joint program of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS).
For more information or to sign up for a free, no obligation seminar, please call the Surgical Weight Loss Center at (813) 615-7077.
Surgical Weight Loss Institute features:
- Expertise in weight loss surgical and non-surgical procedures, specializing in gastric sleeve, gastric bypass, LAP-band, vBloc Therapy, and the orbera Weight Loss System, the latest non-surgical option recently approved by the FDA.
- Pre-operative evaluations, including dietary and psychological assessments.
- A strong focus on patient education, before and after surgery.
- Ongoing education and support through our free Weight Loss Surgery Support Group.
Bariatric Weight Loss Options
The Florida Hospital Tampa Surgical Weight Loss Institute is the only facility in the Tampa Bay area to offer a full array of surgical and non-surgical weight loss procedures.
- Gastric Sleeve: a procedure that divides the stomach to create a small pouch, allowing a smaller amount of food ot give a person the feeling of being full.
- Gastric Bypass: a procedure that divides the stomach into a smaller upper pouch and a much larger lower "remnant" pouch, with the small intestine rearranged to connect both.
- Lap-Band: a device positition around the upper stomach. When the band is tightened by filling it with saline, a small portion of food will fill the upper stomach, satisfying a person's hunger for several hours.
- vBloc Therapy: controls hunger sensations using a pacemaker-like device through a minimally invasive procedure that empowers you to eat less.
- Orbera Weight Loss System: uses an intragastric balloon to reduce the amount of food the stomach can hold. The balloon is inserted into the stomach using an endoscope, where it is filled with saline solution to about the size of a grapefruit for a six-month period.
Each bariatric procedure offered through the Florida Hospital Tampa Surgical Weight Loss Institute provides significant health benefits through proven long-term weight loss. Not only are health conditions and diseases such as type 2 diabetes, hypertension and sleep apnea often improved or eliminated, the effect of weight loss on the quality of life and mental well-being is invaluable.
Is a Weight Loss Procedure Right for Me?
If you meet the following conditions, you are a candidate for our program at Florida Hospital Tampa’s Surgical Weight Loss Center:
- You are at least 18 years of age.
- You have a Body Mass Index (BMI)of 40 (approximately 100 pounds over ideal body weight for men and 80 pounds over ideal body weight for women) or a BMI of 35 (30 for Orbera Weight Loss System) or more with an associated condition such as diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea or obesity-related heart disease.
- You have previously attempted weight loss in a program supervised by a physician, dietitian or nutritionist.
- You have a willingness to commit to long-term medical followup, as well as the life-long changes in eating, exercise and lifestyle habits necessary to maintain weight loss after surgery.