At Florida Hospital Tampa, our Bariatric & Metabolic Institute provides a comprehensive approach to weight loss. Our focus on education and support begins with your first contact with us and extends well after your surgery. Our board-certified weight-loss surgeons, combined with a team of interdisciplinary specialists, are dedicated to helping you lose weight.
The Florida Hospital Tampa Bariatric & Metabolic Institute has been accredited as a Comprehensive Center under the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP), a joint program of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS).
For more information or to sign up for a free, no obligation seminar, please call (813) 615-7077.
Bariatric & Metabolic Institute features
- Expertise in surgical weight loss procedures, specializing in the gastric sleeve, gastric bypass, and revision procedures.
- Pre-operative evaluations, including dietary and psychological assessments.
- A strong focus on patient education, before and after surgery.
- Ongoing education and support through our free Weight Loss Surgery Support Group.
Bariatric Weight Loss Surgery Options
The Florida Hospital Tampa Bariatric & Metabolic Institute offers a comprehensive weight loss program.
- Gastric Sleeve: a procedure that divides the stomach to create a small pouch, allowing a smaller amount of food to give a person the feeling of being full.
- Gastric Bypass: a procedure that divides the stomach into a small upper pouch and a much larger lower “remnant” pouch, with the small intestine rearranged to connect both.
- Revisional Surgery: The correction of a previous weight loss procedure, typically Lap-Band removal, stoma reduction or stomach pouch reduction.
Each bariatric procedure offered through the Florida Hospital Tampa Bariatric & Metabolic Institute provides significant health benefits through proven long-term weight loss. Not only are health conditions and diseases such as type 2 diabetes, hypertension and sleep apnea often improved or eliminated, the effect of weight loss on the quality of life and mental well-being is invaluable.
Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for Me?
If you meet the following conditions, you are a candidate for our program at Florida Hospital Tampa’s Bariatric & Metabolic Institute:
- You are at least 18 years of age.
- You have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 (approximately 100 pounds over ideal body weight for men and 80 pounds over ideal body weight for women) or a BMI of 35 or more with an associated condition such as diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea or obesity-related heart disease.
- You have previously attempted weight loss in a program supervised by a physician, dietitian or nutritionist.
- You have a willingness to commit to long-term medical follow-up, as well as the life-long changes in eating, exercise and lifestyle habits necessary to maintain weight loss after surgery.