In 1986, Tampa businessman, Arthur “Pep” Pepin (Art Pepin), awaited a heart transplant. After Pep received his new heart in Texas from a 26-year-old donor, he and his family returned to Tampa and focused their substantial philanthropic interests on making the most advanced heart health care available right here at home. The founder of Pepin Distributing Company and a Tampa community leader for decades, Pep put his money where his heart was and pledged $500,000 to help our hospital’s new cardiac program grow. Along with an additional $500,000 donation from Pep’s son, Tom Pepin, the Pepin Heart Centre was born in 1989.
Almost twenty years later, the cardiovascular program grew to become one of the leading cardiovascular programs in the Tampa area. In 2006, the Pepin Heart Hospital opened its doors, a three-story, freestanding faculty dedicated to the diagnosis, treatment and study of cardiovascular disease. Today, the Florida Hospital Pepin Heart Institute combines three decades of experience with leading-edge technology and procedures, along with the expertise of the area's finest physicians and clinical staff to bring the highest quality heart care to Tampa Bay.
We are home to Tampa Bay’s first accredited Chest Pain Emergency Room because we meet and exceed the guidelines set by the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care for the gold standard in acute cardiac care. For our excellence in cardiovascular clinical outcomes and community outreach, we have received multiple accreditations and awards, including:
- Advanced Certification in Heart Failure - The Joint Commission
- Accredited Chest Pain Emergency Room - Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care
- \Accreditation in echocardiography for adult transthoracic by the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC)
- Accreditation for diagnostic cardiac catheterization, percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI), and electrophysiology from the Accreditation for Cardiovascular Excellence (ACE)
- Heart Failure Gold Plus Quality Achievement - American Heart Association
- Get with the Guidelines – Stoke Gold Plus Quality Achievement - American Heart Association
- STEMI Receiving Center Gold Performance Achievement - American Heart Association
- Heart of the Community Award - Larry King Cardiac Foundation