The Florida Hospital Tampa Don Lau Family Center for Cancer Care is an established Center of Excellence that has been nationally recognized for its medical staff, cutting-edge technology, and innovation in treatment. We are leaders in the treatment of aggressive forms of cancer such as pancreatic, lung and breast cancer. We offer a comprehensive array of radiation therapy treatment for pediatric and adult cancers delivered by experienced, board-certified radiation oncologists. Our team of physicians, nurses and patient navigators provides a personal approach to patient care ensuring you have a partner throughout your cancer journey.
The Don Lau Family Center for Cancer Care partners with world-renowned surgeons to provide comprehensive, leading-edge treatments for patients with digestive-related cancers including but not limited to:
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Colorectal Cancer
- Gastric Cancer
- Esophageal Cancer
- Colon Cancer
Pediatric Radiation Oncology
Collaborating with All Children’s Hospital and the Florida Hospital Tampa Pediatric Care Center, this multidisciplinary program is one of the only programs in the Tampa Bay area specializing in radiation oncology for children. We understand the unique needs of our patients and offer a child-friendly approach to their care. Patients benefit from a dedicated pediatric level II nurse in their own exam room decorated in an ‘Under the Sea’ theme.
What We Offer
The Don Lau Family Center for Cancer Care at Florida Hospital Tampa offers:
- Three-Dimensional Simulation and Treatment Planning: This imaging technology uses three-dimensional information to visualize and target the cancer—as well as surrounding tissue and organs—so an optimal treatment plan can be designed.
- Multi-Modality Image Fusion: Electronically incorporating data from different imaging methods such as CT, MRI or PET, this technology provides more clinical information for treatment planning than any singular method.
- External Beam Radiation Therapy: External beam radiation delivers high doses of radiation to specifically target the affected cancer site and minimize the dose to surrounding normal tissue.
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT): With fewer side effects than standard radiation therapy, IMRT is a highly accurate radiation technology that spares normal tissue, allows for better radiation doses and is able to treat tumors near critical organs.
- Trilogy with RapidArc: This technology improves the accuracy of radiation doses while significantly shortening treatment time. Florida Hospital Tampa was one of the first hospitals in the Tampa Bay area to offer this capability.
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery and Radiotherapy: This type of radiation therapy safely allows high doses of radiation in one to five treatments, instead of the many smaller doses given in standard radiation treatment.
- Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT): The most advanced form of radiation therapy available, IGRT enables doctors to precisely locate and visualize the tumor before each dose is administered. This state-of-the-art system enables doctors to choose the most appropriate treatment for treatment.
- Pediatric Radiation Oncology: Collaborating with All Children’s Hospital and the Florida Hospital Tampa Pediatric Care Center, this multidisciplinary program specializes in radiation oncology for children.
- High Dose Rate (HDR): HDR, or Brachytherapy, delivers higher dose radiation precisely at the site of the cancer, reducing the probability of unnecessary damage to surrounding healthy tissue. Multi-Lumen Mammosite and SAVI Brachytherapy devices provide this targeted therapy in the treatment of breast cancers, reducin treatments from six weeks to one week. Cylinder and Tandem and Ring Brachytherapy provides targeted therapy for the treatment of gynecological cancers.
- Intraoperative Radiation Therapy (IORT): Delivers a concentrated dose of radiation to the breast tumor site in a single session during lumpectomy surgery. IORT reduces the need for additional breast cancer radiation therapy, which is typically given over five to six weeks.
For more information on cancer programs and cancer treatment offered at Florida Hospital Tampa, please call us today at (813) 615-7300.