Most people have very good results from septoplasty for a deviated septum. However, some rare complications may arise.
The potential side effects of septoplasty for a deviated septum include:
- Uneven appearance of the nose
- Discoloration of the skin
- Surgical scars
- Numbness in the nose, cheeks and upper lip that may continue for several months
- Build-up of fluid in the nose
- Perforation of the septum
All surgery comes with some risks based on the person’s general health and the extent of the problem. When reviewing surgical options, the doctor will describe any complications and the potential of them occurring.