Education is one of the best ways to improve your health and ensure you make the best health care decisions. Statistics and facts on polycystic ovarian syndrome can explain the basic information women need to know to identify the condition and seek more information. Review the facts listed below:
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is caused by a hormone imbalance. Patients have too little estrogen and progesterone and too much male hormone (androgen)
- PCOS affects 5% of American women
- Hormone therapy and other lifestyle changes may be used to treat the condition.
- There is no cure.
- Obesity can make the condition worse.
- Symptoms include acne, irregular periods, excessive hair growth on face and body, skin tags, male-pattern baldness, and obesity.
- Doctors diagnose PCOS through blood tests and pelvic exams.
- Treatments depend on whether or not the patient wants to get pregnant.
- Oral contraceptives, diabetes medications, weight loss and acne medicines may be recommended for patients not seeking to get pregnant.
- Weight reduction and ovulation induction medication may be recommended for those who want to get pregnant.
Ask a doctor at Florida Hospital for more facts on polycystic ovarian syndrome.