While paraesophageal hernia causes are largely unknown, doctors teach patients how to prevent paraesophageal hernia through certain lifestyle habits. Also, for patients with the risk of developing a strangulated paraesophageal hernia, doctors recommend preventative surgery to repair the hernia before a complication occurs.
- Doctors recommend these lifestyle modifications when preventing paraesophageal hernia:
- Maintain a reasonable weight
- Eat a high-fiber diet
- Cut spicy and acidic foods from the diet
- Eat small servings
- Avoid heavy lifting, constipation and straining during bowel movements
- Follow a moderate exercise routine to improve and maintain muscle tone
Besides altering a few lifestyle habits, doctors can recommend medications that neutralize acid in the stomach and make the stomach more efficient. This decreases the acid reflux and damage to the esophagus.
Florida Hospital physicians encourage all patients to speak with their physicians before ending old routines or beginning new dietary/exercise routines.