While paraesophageal hernia surgery is the only hernia repair procedure, other treatments can be used to prevent a serious related condition that requires surgery, such as strangulated stomach.
Non-Surgical Hernia Repair and Treatment
For patients without painful symptoms, these lifestyle changes or a medication regimen may help prevent paraesophageal hernia symptoms by stopping stomach acid and avoiding pressure in the abdomen:
- Avoid acidic or spicy foods that produce acid reflux
- Sit up after meals
- Consume small portions of bland foods
- Take antacids to stop acid reflux
- Start taking Histamine receptor blockers
- Take Proton pump inhibitors
- Avoid heavy lifting
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Follow a moderate exercise routine
Even after paraesophageal hernia surgery, patients may be required to develop these lifestyle habits to avoid surgical complications and return of the hernia.
Florida Hospital specialists recommend that you speak with a physician before beginning any new medical or lifestyle routine. For more information on preventative treatments, schedule an appointment with our Florida Hospital specialists online today.