At Florida Hospital Orlando, our experienced multidisciplinary team of rehabilitation experts is dedicated to meeting our patients’ physical, cognitive and psychological needs. These patients have been, whether through disease or injury, limited in their ability to lead full, active lives. Our dedicated team creates personalized care plans for each of these patients, focusing on promoting our patients’ health, healing and well-being. Our goal is to holistically treat the whole patient along with the cause of the injury or disease itself.
The members of the team that works with our rehabilitation patients may include:
- Physiatrists, or physicians specializing in physical medicine and rehabilitation
- Speech pathologists
- Physical therapists
- Occupational therapists
- Medical psychologists
- Athletic trainers
- Exercise pathologists
- Massage therapists
For more information or to schedule an appointment with our rehabilitation team, contact us today.
The experts at Florida Hospital Orlando offer rehabilitation plans for a wide variety of injuries and diseases. Below are just some of the conditions from which we can help patients recover.
- Amputation: Each year, millions of Americans suffer from injuries, accidents or diseases that lead to amputation. Our goal for these patients is to improve their functional movement allow them to use their prosthesis to perform activities of daily living. Immediately after the amputation, our experts will have patients begin exercises designed to prevent muscle atrophy. For patients with a lower-body amputation, we will work to strengthen the upper body so that the patient can more easily walk with crutches. And as the amputation area heals, we will use several different prosthetic sockets to accommodate the changes the stump goes through in the first year.
- Brain injury: Our extensive program provides rehabilitation services to patients with brain injuries as well as a wide variety of other neurological conditions. We offer a single continuum of care, from inpatient to outpatient, into which patients can enter at any stage of their recovery.
- Cancer rehabilitation: Our Cancer Rehabilitation Program can help cancer patients even before surgery. We use pre-surgery assessments to provide a baseline for the comparison of the patient’s movements before and after surgery; at the same time, we also give our patients a home exercise plan to follow, as well as information on what to expect during and after their surgery. After surgery, our rehabilitation team focuses on common issues associated with swelling, pain, scar tissue and/or decreased range of motion, as well as emotional issues. Ultimately, our goal is to reduce the patient’s swelling, improve the use of the affected extremity, provide therapeutic massage and exercise, provide education and treatment, reduce and control pain, reduce scar tissue, create a home exercise plan and offer community resource information. Exercise can be particularly helpful for cancer rehabilitation patients, as it helps them gain strength, fight fatigue and maximize long-term health, as well as stave off the physical decline associated with many cancer treatments.
- Concussion: Concussions are common injuries suffered doing sporting activities, especially contact sports, and they can have long-lasting impacts on brain functions. At Florida Hospital Orlando, our goal is to provide athletes, parents and coaches with education on the proper ways to identify, test and manage concussions.
- Joint pain: Normal, healthy joints allow individuals to perform activities such as walking, running, bending and turning with ease and without pain. However, when joints become injured or suffer from disease, the pain can become severe and movement can become difficult, if not impossible. No matter the cause, at Florida Hospital Orlando we work with every patient to create a rehabilitation plan to reduce pain and increase the ease of movement.
- Medical fitness and massage: The Florida Hospital Orlando Medical Fitness Program provides individuals with safe, effective and personalized fitness regimens designed to meet their specific needs and goals. In addition to lifestyle and weight management programs, we also offer specialized wellness programs for cardiac patients, seniors, adolescents, spinal cord injury patients and those with Parkinson’s disease. In addition, we offer massage therapy services. Massage therapy has been shown to improve patients’ health and overall well-being, as well as strengthen and tone the entire body.
- Neurological rehabilitation: At Florida Hospital Orlando, neurological rehabilitation is a comprehensive program that includes therapy for brain and spinal cord injuries, stroke, difficulty swallowing, as well as medical psychology, neuromuscular retraining and feedback, and vestibular and speech therapy. This extensive program is designed to help patients at any stage of their recovery, throughout the entire continuum of care.
- Orthopedic and sports injuries: Florida Hospital Orlando’s rehabilitation team specializes in therapy techniques designed to assist patients whose musculoskeletal system has suffered trauma as the result of a work or sports-related injury, overuse, surgery or other incidents, such as an automobile accident or a direct blow to a muscle. Our therapists work closely with patients to decrease and control their pain, muscle spasms and swelling, using cutting-edge treatment modalities such as ultrasound, electrical stimulation, soft tissue massage and heat and cold therapy.
- Pediatric rehabilitation: Sometimes children have to deal with learning or physical disabilities that are the result of injury, illness or congenital causes. For these children, the pediatric therapists at Florida Hospital Orlando work diligently to empower both them and their parents with the skills and strategies they need to succeed. These therapy sessions are designed to be both fun and functional.
- Pelvic health rehabilitation: Our Pelvic Health Rehabilitation Program is specifically designed to help both men and women suffering from pelvic health conditions, including pelvic pain, urinary or fecal leakage, pelvic prolapse and interstitial cystitis, among many others. This program features the latest and most advanced treatments available, provided by experienced, highly trained pelvic health therapists.
- Specialty programs and services: We offer a number of specialty programs designed to help patients diagnosed with conditions such as hearing problems, facial paralysis, lymphedema (i.e., swelling caused by an accumulation of lymph fluid), dysphasia (i.e., a partial or complete inability to communicate because of a brain disorder), swallowing issues, vestibular and balance issues, and wound care.
- Stroke: Strokes affect individuals in different ways depending on the type and magnitude of the stroke and the part of the brain affected. Common consequences of a stroke include problems with the senses, difficulty moving the arms and legs, paralysis or weakness on one side of the body, and difficulty with speech and comprehension. Our expert rehabilitation team works closely with each patient to design an individualized plan focusing on improving mobility, speech, independence, swallowing, daily living activities, recreation and emotionally adjusting to new circumstances.