Comprehensive approach provides better outcomes
As one of the only adult and pediatric epilepsy programs in Florida, our comprehensive approach allows us to provide the highest levels of care all while continuing to provide individualized treatment plans. We believe that obtaining an accurate diagnosis is the key to finding the proper treatment for adult epilepsy patients.
Our qualifications and recognitions include:
- We have been awarded the highest designation, a Level 4 Epilepsy Center, by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers (NAEC)
- A level 4 center provides the more complex forms of intensive neurodiagnostic monitoring, as well as more extensive medical, neuropsychological, and psychosocial treatment. Level 4 centers also offer a complete evaluation for epilepsy surgery and a broad range of surgical procedures for epilepsy.
- Our program performs more epilepsy surgeries annually than anywhere else in Florida*
- We are home to the only Tuberous Sclerosis Clinic (TSC) in Central Florida, treating both children and adults as designated by the Tuberous Sclerosis Alliance, a national organization dedicated to finding a cure for TSC while improving the lives of those affected
- One of the only physician-led Ketogenic Diet Programs in Central Florida
*Source: Agency for Healthcare Administration (AHCA) Inpatient Data
Each patient receives a customized, multi-phased treatment plan that includes a neuropsychological and hospital evaluation. Since Florida Hospital is home to one of the largest and most comprehensive epilepsy programs in the nation, we offer some of the most advanced technologies and techniques available.
- Medical: Antiepileptic Medications and Drug Trials
- Diet: Ketogenic Diet Program
- Management of Women with Epilepsy During Pregnancy
- Epilepsy Management in Special Populations (Elderly and Developmentally-delayed Individuals)
- Genetic testing
- Autoimmune Encephalitis/Epilepsy
- Tuberous Sclerosis Clinic
- 18-bed Epilepsy Monitoring Unit
- Temporal Lobe Resection
- Laser Ablation
- Intracranial Electrode Placement
- Minimally Invasive Procedures with Robotic Stereotactic Assistance (ROSA), Resective Surgery and NeuroPace
- Advanced Diagnostic Imaging
- Magnetoencephalography (MEG), the only one available in the state of Florida
- 3T MRI Imaging
- Intraoperative MRI
- Functional MRI
- FDG (Fluorodeoxyglucose) PET (Positron Emission Tomography) Scan
- Nuclear Medicine Brain Spectroscopy
- Wada Testing
- Somatosensory Evoked Potential
Meet Our Team of Epilepsy Experts
Our Adult Epilepsy Program is led by two of the most respected experts in epilepsy, Ki Hyeong Lee, MD, and James Baumgartner, MD. Together, these board-certified physicians have more than 60 years of experience in epilepsy and epilepsy surgery. There is a large team of individuals committed to the care and treatment of seizures, including pediatric neuropsychologists, neuroradiologists, neuropathologists, dietitians, social workers, research scientists clinical care coordinators and nurse practitioners. We treat each case individually and always strive to provide the most compassionate care for each of our patients and their families.
Call (407) 303-9925 for more information about our Adult Epilepsy Program.