Florida Hospital New Smyrna Medical Center Imaging Services offers state of the art technology for all imaging modalities. We also utilize Picture Archiving Communication System (PACS). PACS allows the referring physician to view images and reports immediately upon completion ensuring you get your results sooner.
Florida Hospital New Smyrna is accredited by the American College of Radiology (CT, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine and our Ultrasound Program. This award is granted to facilities that practices the highest standard of Imaging Quality after a peer-review evaluation of its practice. Image quality and procedure evaluations are conducted by board-certified radiologists and medical physicists who are experts in the field. The program also evaluates personnel qualifications, adequacy of facility equipment, quality control procedures and quality assurance programs.
To schedule an appointment, please call 386-424-5044, or fax your order to 386-424-5048. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.
The following Radiological Services are provided at Florida Hospital New Smyrna Medical Center:
- Diagnostic Radiology - Emergency trauma, digital x-ray and fluoroscopic exams are also performed at Florida Hospital New Smyrna.
- Mammography - Digital Mammography, Breast biopsies and Bone Density are offered as part of our Women’s Program. These procedures are performed at our main campus 401 Palmetto Street, New Smyrna Beach.
- Interventional Radiology (Angiography) - Diagnostic and therapeutic procedures performed by a Board Certified Interventional Radiologist.
- C.T. Imaging - Offering State of the Art Technology: 64 slice and 40 slice CT scanners for trauma evaluation and screening: CTA Coronary, head, abdomen, pelvis, spine, extremities and guided biopsies.
- MRI - 1.5 Tesla High Field short bore magnet scanner offering examinations of the brain, abdomen, pelvis, spine, extremities, all joints and MRA (angiography-vessels).
- Ultrasound - Vascular imaging: carotids arterial, venous, venous insufficiency studies, general abdomen, pelvis, breasts, small parts, limited OB and guided biopsies.
- Nuclear Medicine - Cardiac imaging (rest/stress), bone scans, G.I. imaging, lung, liver, and radionuclide therapy.
- Bone Density - Used to assess osteoporosis (Bone Mineral Density) and is part of our Women’s Program and Digital Mammography.
As part of Florida Hospital New Smyrna Medical Center’s on-going commitment to improving technology to better the lives of citizens and visitors in Southeast Volusia County, two very important procedures are available for our patients. Previously performed in surgery under anesthesia they can now be done in the Florida Hospital New Smyrna Medical Center Radiology Department with less risk to the patient and are far more cost effective than the alternatives.
- Breast Imaging: Stereotactic Localization: highly sophisticated technique used to evaluate and localize suspected breast tissue that may be cancerous. This proven method (computer assisted breast imaging for placement of a needle and sampling) is an alternative to surgery. It requires no anesthesia and is performed as an outpatient procedure, typically requiring less than an hour to perform. This procedure minimizes patient anxieties, is less traumatic for the patient, and has little or no complications associated.
- Interventional Radiology: Is a non-invasive procedure used for evaluation and treatment of patients with vascular disease, (e.g., head, neck, abdomen and extremities.) Interventional therapeutic angiography is when a balloon catheter is inserted into a constricted or blocked artery (stenosis) and inflated to reduce or eliminate the narrowing. Using this technique blood flow is increased immediately, thus dramatically improving the patient outcome. Significant patient improvements have been documented. Many of these procedures may be performed on an outpatient basis.
Staff Licensure Requirements
All technologists are certified by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) and licensed by the State of Florida.