Doctors use standardized stages of nasopharyngeal cancer to categorize the severity and location of the cancerous tumor. With this staging, doctors can better recommend a treatment that will be the most effective.
These are the standardized stages of nasopharyngeal cancer according to the National Cancer Institute
- Stage 0 – Abnormal cells are found
- Stage I – Cancer is found only in the nasopharynx, oropharynx or nasal cavity
- Stage II – Cancer is in the nasopharynx has spread to the lymph nodes and surrounding tissue
- Stage III – Cancer is in the nasopharynx, spread to the lymph nodes and possibly nearby bones or sinuses
- Stage IV – Cancer has spread beyond the nasopharynx and lymph nodes to surround and tissue located throughout the body
It’s important to diagnose the cancer at the earliest stage for the best chance at successful treatment without side effects.