Learning as much as possible about your health care empowers patients to make the best medical decisions. These statistics and facts on menopause are the basis of information for you to begin learning about this critical stage of life.
Learn the basic facts below, and contact Florida Hospital to determine if you have reached menopause:
- Menopause is caused by a decrease in the amount of mature eggs in the ovaries and a reduced estrogen level.
- It is a natural part of life and cannot be prevented
- Menopause can cause symptoms such as hot flashes, mood changes, irregular menstruation, vaginal dryness, heart disease and osteoporosis
- Screening and tests are not necessary for most patients, but doctors can recommend blood testing to confirm a diagnosis
- Treatment may not be necessary, but some patients include hormone therapy, medications, dietary changes and lifestyle changes
- Decreased hormones and body changes during menopause have been linked to osteoporosis and heart disease.