As a complex medical procedure, the potential side effects of lung surgery may be short-term or long-term. Understanding these risk factors can help patients make better medical decisions to improve their overall health.
Minimally invasive procedures may reduce the side effects and risks of lung surgery. Speak to a doctor at Florida Hospital to determine if you qualify for the minimally invasive procedure. Request an appointment online now.
Some of the potential side effects of lung surgery for both the open chest and minimally invasive procedure include:
- Infection or bleeding associated with the incision
- Allergic reaction to the anesthesia medication
- Lung collapse caused by tension pneumothorax (air between the lungs and chest wall)
- Air/fluid leaking into the surgical area (bronchopleural fistula)
- Recurrence of lung cancer
- Accumulation of fluid in the chest
- Chronic pain
- Abnormal heart rhythms
- Difficulty breathing and need for prolonged stay on the breathing machine