The facts about hyperemesis gravidarum that is a rare condition and effective treatments exist. While statistics can create a broad picture of the nature of the condition, each woman’s situation will be different and only she and her doctor can develop a treatment strategy to meet her unique needs.
Relevant statistics of hyperemesis gravidarum and morning sickness:
- 80% of all women experience morning sickness in the first 3 months of pregnancy
- only 0.3% to 2% of pregnancies are affected by hyperemesis gravidarum
- hyperemesis gravidarum is the most common reason for hospitalization during the first half of pregnancy
- it is the second leading cause of hospitalization during pregnancy
- the annual cost of hyperemesis gravidarum exceeds $200 million in the U.S.