Even with diabetes, our patients are able to do what they love. With dedicated dieticians, exercise specialists and personal instructors, we’re helping Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes sufferers improve their conditions and start getting more out of life. At The Florida Hospital Heartland Diabetes Center, our focus on safe, step-by-step diabetes self-management has become a successful resource for many diabetics. In fact, our Center has been recognized by the American Diabetes Association for Quality Self-Management Education.
One Center, Complete Focus on Diabetes Control
Of the millions suffering from diabetes, many have learned to manage their disease and go on to lead healthy, happy, active lives. Our personalized self-management programs are created through careful assessment of our patients’ current condition and long-term lifestyle goals. We help merge easy to follow lifestyle modification management into their physician’s ongoing medical supervision. The multi-faceted team of Florida Hospital Heartland Diabetes Center works closely with our patients’ primary care physicians, integrating diet and exercise improvements into their overall plan of care.
Our programs and services are designed to benefit individuals:
- Diagnosed with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes
- Whose diabetes is out of control
- With Gestational diabetes (diabetes with pregnancy)
- New to insulin or starting an insulin pump
- With nutritional needs in regards to exercise, obesity, hypoglycemia, hyperlipidemia, and more
Self Management Training
Our program includes a comprehensive diabetes course, giving patients the tools to successfully manage diabetes for life within four, 2.5 hour sessions. This unique curriculum includes:
1. What diabetes is and how to control it
2. How to monitor blood glucose
3. Nutrition counseling for diabetes, cardiac and lifestyle management
4. Individualized meal plan
5. Guidelines for meal planning, dining out, grocery shopping, label reading and travel
6. The role of exercise, nutrition and medication in diabetes control
7. Insulin and medication instruction
8. Diabetes management during illness
9. Prevention, recognition and treatment of diabetes emergencies and complications
10. Stress management
11. Setting goals for a healthy lifestyle
12. Preconception care and gestational diabetes
Family support can be an important component in the success of long-tem diabetes management. We encourage our patients’ to have a family member accompany them in our program. Everyone learns how to smoothly integrate new meal preparation ideas, daily exercise, regular blood sugar monitoring and medication schedule into their normal, daily routine.
Chapter 96-279 Florida Law requires health insurance policies and HMO contracts sold in Florida to provide coverage for medically necessary diabetes supplies and self-management training. This law also covers Medicare beneficiaries. A referral from your primary care physician is necessary for insurance and Medicare reimbursement.
Medicare education reimbursement allows for a 10-hour education class with 3 hours of additional Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) as a one-time benefit to any beneficiary who has a diagnosis of diabetes. Medicare will also allow up to 2 hours of additional education and 2 hours of MNT each calendar year after the initial training as follow-up.