Physicians at Florida Hospital will develop a GERD treatment plan based on your age, severity of symptoms, general health, medical history, preference and tolerance for specific therapies.
If your GERD can be relieved through lifestyle changes and diet, your physician may recommend one or several of the following:
- Monitor medications to ensure they’re not irritating the stomach or esophageal lining
- Quit smoking
- Limit fried and fatty foods, coffee, alcohol, chocolate, peppermint, citrus and tomato products
- Eat small portions
- Don’t lie down until a couple of hours after eating
- Raise the head of your bed by 6” using cinderblocks or bricks under the bed’s legs
- Take antacids, as recommended by your doctor
If GERD surgery is necessary, a procedure to prevent reflux by keeping the esophagus in place – called a fundoplication – will be performed.