Before undergoing any surgical procedure, patients should fully understand the potential side effects of gastrectomy. Depending on the patient’s unique condition and overall health, side effects and risks may differ. It’s important to speak to your doctor to determine what you can expect before, during and after surgery.
These are some of the potential side effects of gastrectomy:
- Negative reaction to anesthesia, trouble breathing
- Infection at the incision site
- Blood clots
- Heartburn, vomiting, nausea
- Dumping syndrome
- Injury to surrounding tissue
- Scarring around surrounding tissue caused by surgery
After surgery, patients may need to change their eating habits. It’s important to eat the correct foods by following the doctor’s instructions to avoid developing nutritional deficiencies.
Florida Hospital works to reduce the risks of side effects through specialized surgical safety procedures, comprehensive medical care and follow-up care.