At Florida Hospital, treatments for gallstones depend on the patient’s individual condition, medical history and overall health. If the gallstones do not cause symptoms, treating gallstones may not be necessary.
For patients with painful symptoms, treating gallstones can include medication therapy, less invasive procedures and surgical treatments for gallstones:
- Oral dissolution therapy - drugs are used to dissolve the stones
- Methyl-tert-butyl ether – A solution is injected to dissolve the stones
- Extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy (ESWL) – shock waves break up stones
- Contact dissolution therapy – injecting a drug into the gallbladder to dissolve stones
- Gallbladder removal (cholecystectomy) – removal of the gallbladder to eliminate gallstones
While gallbladder removal is a common procedure, Florida Hospital offers less invasive treatments for qualified patients. See if these procedures can treat your condition.