For patients at risk for gallstones, it’s important to know as much about the condition as possible. These gallstone statistics and facts help patients better understand the causes and implications of gallstones:
- About 80% of gallstones are cholesterol gallstones
- Gallstones are more common in women, older people and overweight people.
- Birth control, hormone therapy or pregnancy can increase a woman’s risk of gallstones.
- The vast majority—about 80% of patients—do not experience symptoms of gallstones.
- Gallstones do not show up with regular X-rays
- Nearly 90% of patients who seek treatment receive laparoscopic cholecystectomy surgery, a procedure to remove the stones and gallbladder.