Campuses: FH.com Home button

Gallbladder Disease

Statistics for Gallbladder Disease

For patients with gallstones and gallbladder pain, it’s best to know as much as they can about their condition to help prevent a gallbladder attack or more serious related conditions. Here are a few of the statistics patients need to know:

  • Only 10% of gallstones cause painful symptoms.
  • Only about 3% of people who do develop painful symptoms, develop inflammation.
  • Jaundice, a yellowing of the skin, can be caused when bile cannot empty out of the gallbladder.
  • 80% of gallstones are made from cholesterol, while the other 20% are pigment stones.
  • Painful gallbladder symptoms can be caused by a blockage in the gallbladder or in the bile duct.
  • It has been found gallstones are most common in women, older adults, overweight people, Native Americans and Mexican Americans.
  • People do not need a gallbladder to live. Bile, the substance that helps digest fat, has alternate ways of getting to the intestine.

For patients with gallbladder pain, Florida Hospital can help diagnose and treat your symptoms to prevent more serious conditions.

Locations for Gallbladder Disease