Giving the gift of nourishment to critically premature babies in need.
What is the Milk Depot at Florida Hospital?
Central Florida’s first milk depot serves as a safe, controlled collection point where women can donate their mother’s milk for premature and at risk infants in need. We make it easy for moms to help other moms provide vitally important nutrients to their babies who are struggling to survive.
What is human milk banking?
- Florida Hospital is associated with the Mother’s Milk Bank of Florida, which is a member of the Human Milk Banking Association of North America (HMBANA)
- A HMBANA milk bank not only screens and tests its donors, but will also pasteurize and then test (culture) the milk prior to bottling for shipment. Only donor milk from a HMBANA milk bank can be safely given to preterm, hospitalized infants.
- Milk banks depend on "drop off" milk depots in order to meet the growing demand for donor human milk.
- Why donate mother’s milk?
- The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that pasteurized donor human milk be given to premature infants when a mother’s own milk cannot be used.
- Pasteurized donor human milk provides life-saving benefits to premature and at risk infants
- There is a critical shortage of Donor Human Milk in the United States
A special gift only a mother can give.
4 easy steps to becoming a mother’s milk donor:
1.Call 1-407-248-5050 to talk to a donor coach who will administer your introductory 10-minute phone screening
2.Complete and return the mother’s milk donor informational packet
3.Schedule your cost-free blood test to verify your milk is safe for critically premature infants
4. Make an appointment and drop off your frozen donor milk to the Milk Depot at Florida Hospital for shipment to the Mother’s Milk Bank of Florida by calling (407) 303-2599.The Milk Depot is conveniently located at 601 E. Rollins St. Orlando, FL 32803 in the Lactation Center located on the first floor of the new Florida Hospital for Women.
Hours of operation: Monday through Thursday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm and Friday from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm