Some complications may arise from chemical facial peels, but most of these result when a patient does not properly follow post-treatment instructions.
Common side effects of superficial facial peels include mild stinging, irritation and redness. Medium and deep peels can leave clear lines of color between peeled and unpeeled skin if the chemical is not “feathered” into untreated areas. Deep peels may result in changes in pigmentation, a particular concern for darker skinned people.
Other side effects of facial peels include:
- Allergic reactions to chemicals
- Improper or delayed healing
- Hypersensitive skin
- Scarring (more often in medium and deep peels)
- Return of acne
- Cold sores and fever blisters
- Problems related to improper procedure