Florida Hospital specialists use the endoscopy procedure to diagnose many different conditions. Each procedure uses a different name, like colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy, depending on the organ being examined.
Review this short list of the procedures to understand what each related procedure is used to diagnose and evaluate:
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy—esophagus, stomach and beginning of the small intestine.
- Colonoscopy —large intestine and colon
- Sigmoidoscopy—the part of the colon closest to the rectum
- Laparoscopy—abdomen and pelvis
- Rhinoscopy (nasal endoscopy)—nose
- Bronchoscopy—lungs and lower respiratory tract
- Cystoscopy—urinary tract
- Arthroscopy—interior of a joint
- Spinal endoscopy—inside of the spinal canal
- And more.
While an endoscopy can be used to diagnose many different parts of the body, the endoscope itself also comes in different forms. The preferred scope, a flexible endoscopy is used for most tests, but doctors may use a rigid endoscope for surgical procedures.
Florida Hospital specialists use the latest procedures and state-of-the-art diagnostic tools to provide the best treatment for patients and their families. Trust our specialists to help diagnose and treat your condition. Make an appointment today.