When experiencing stomach problems, the symptoms can indicate a large range of conditions. Some digestive diseases last for years and become chronic diseases. For other diseases, treatments can resolve or heal the body and eliminate symptoms.
It’s important to know as much as possible about digestive diseases in order to diagnose, treat and manage the symptoms. Start learning here.
- More than 40 conditions make up the category of digestive diseases.
- Acute digestive diseases are sudden and can be life threatening.
- Chronic digestive diseases grow gradually worse without proper treatment. They can start out or become life threatening.
- Digestive diseases, both chronic and acute account for almost a tenth of overall deaths in America.
- More than 34 million people in the U.S. have digestive diseases.
- More male employees miss work due to digestive conditions than any other reason.
- A quarter of the cancer deaths in the U.S. are due to gastrointestinal cancers.
Florida Hospital physicians encourage all patients with stomach problems to seek medical help. Using tests and physical exams, our specialists can diagnose your condition and treat your digestive symptoms.