Most side effects of cleft lip and palate surgery are not serious. Post-operative discomfort may make the child irritable, but pain should be mild and may be relieved with medications as directed by the doctor. Swelling, bruises and some blood on the lips are normal.
Some side effects of cleft lip and palate surgery warrant a call to the doctor.
- Stitches may come apart opening the incision
- Excess bleeding from the incision; heavy bleeding is an emergency condition
- Fever of that lasts more than two days or is 101 degrees or higher
- Breathing problems
- Infection of the incision
- Inability to drink any liquids