Helping Your Child Live a Seizure-Free, Full Life
When the brain misfires, its normal electrical signals can be disrupted. The resulting seizures can be caused by many conditions, including malformations, hemorrhages, infections, fever, congenital disorders, head trauma, tumors and genetic variations.
To identify what is causing your child’s seizures and to treat them effectively with the goal of being seizure-free, the Comprehensive Epilepsy Center at Florida Hospital for Children has assembled a world-class team of epileptologists, neuropsychologists, neurosurgeons, nurses and other support.
We are a destination treatment facility for epilepsy—one of the largest and most comprehensive programs in the nation—offering you the most advanced diagnostics, technologies and treatments available. Part of the secret of our success is our interdisciplinary model of care that allows our epilepsy team to tap into the collective expertise of our entire medical staff, which includes experts in more than 30 sub-specialties. This ensures that your child will enjoy superior care at all levels.
At the Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, we are committed to:
- Developing a highly respected center that is staffed by epilepsy experts who have access to the best technologies and most advanced approaches to therapy and treatment, creating a center of excellence that makes us a destination facility for epilepsy-related problems.
- Maintaining a position of leadership in epilepsy care and research, ensuring that our young patients and their families have access to the latest advances, including clinical trials.
- Providing you with an experienced team of epilepsy specialists, surgeons and support staff who can offer your child the best chance of enjoying a normal, healthy life free of seizures.
- Treating the root causes of seizures at all levels, employing the latest non-surgical and surgical interventions, including minimally invasive procedures, state-of-the-art diagnostic and testing equipment and proven therapies.
Epilepsy conditions we treat include:
- Pediatric epilepsy in general
- Symptomatic epilepsy (epilepsy with identifiable causes)
- Cortical dysplasia
- Brain tumor
- Post-trauma: premature birth, birth injury, traumatic brain injury
- Congenital or perinatal stroke
- Post-Infection: meningitis, abscess, encephalitisTuberous sclerosis, Sturge-Weber Syndrome, Hypomelanosis of Ito Rasmussen Syndrome
- Cryptogenic epilepsy (epilepsy without cause)
- MRI negative or non-lesional epilepsy
- GLUT-1 deficiency and other metabolic conditions
- Epilepsy syndromes
- Infantile spasms (West syndrome)
- Lennox-Gastaut syndrome
- Benign childhood epilepsy
- Juvenile Myoclonic epilepsy
- Doose syndrome
Meet Our Team of Epilepsy Experts
Our Comprehensive Epilepsy Center is led by two of the most respected experts in epilepsy, Ki Hyeong Lee, MD, and James Baumgartner, MD. Together these board-certified physicians have more than 45 years of experience in epilepsy and epilepsy surgery. Supporting them is a team of individuals committed to the care and treatment of seizures, including pediatric neuropsychologists, neuroradiologists, dieticians, nurse practitioners, researchers, rehabilitation therapists, and social workers. It is this team approach that makes our center like none other, providing a multi-tiered, multidisciplinary approach to controlling and eliminating seizures. Because our doctors and specialists are located all in one place, they can consider every treatment possible for your child, working together to find a solution.
Of course, you and your child are at the center of everything we do. It is our goal and commitment to you that we will provide the information, knowledge and treatment options you need to make the most informed and educated decisions regarding your child’s care.
Epilepsy Monitoring Unit Designed Just for Children
At our team’s disposal is a state-of-the-art eight-bed Epilepsy Monitoring Unit that provides round-the-clock monitoring. This includes an all-digital video EEG that can be monitored 24 hours a day, seven days a week, by specially trained nurses, EEG technicians and pediatric epileptologists. This center allows us to study your child’s seizure activity in real time, improving the accuracy of our diagnosis and effectiveness of our treatment.