Excellence in Breastfeeding Practices
Florida Hospital Celebration Health has received prestigious international recognition as a Baby-Friendly designated birth facility. This award recognizes excellence in care for breastfeeding mothers and their babies. As part of this designation, we have excelled in the implementation of 10 practices — developed by a team of global experts — that have been shown to increase breastfeeding initiation and duration.
*We are proud to be the only hospital in the tri-county area and the fifth hospital in the state to hold this prestigious designation
*As of the official Baby-Friendly USA announcement on October 30, 2014.
Benefits for Mother and Child
Breast milk gives infants the optimal mix of nutrients and antibodies to help them thrive. Scientific evidence indicates that breastfeeding also provides a host of important health benefits for both infants and new mothers.
- Breastfed infants have dramatically lower incidents of diarrhea, otitis media, lower respiratory tract infections, obesity, type 1 and type 2 diabetes, childhood leukemia, necrotizing enterocolitis and sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
- Mothers who breastfeed their babies have a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes, breast and ovarian cancer, anemia and osteoporosis.
How We Support Breastfeeding
We deliver a comprehensive program designed to provide new moms with the information, confidence and skills necessary to successfully breastfeed their new babies. Our program includes:
- Breastfeeding benefits and management education for pregnant women
- Breastfeeding assistance within one hour of birth
- Assistance in maintaining lactation, even when mother and child are separated
- Encouragement of breastfeeding on demand
- Encouragement of 24-hour-a-day contact between mother and infant
- Breastfeeding support groups after discharge from the birthing center
- Immediate skin to skin after birth