Your Weight Can Be Putting You at Risk
If you or someone you love is overweight or obese, the risk of serious, harmful health conditions can raise dramatically.
The Obesity Epidemic
For those struggling with obesity, you are not alone. A 2010 study by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention found that 35.7% adults over age 20 in the United States were obese, and 16.9% of children and adolescents.
The risk for many serious health conditions and diseases rises as people get closer to the levels of clinically overweight (BMI of 25) or obese (BMI of 30+). Many adults and children in our society suffer from obesity, but may not be aware of it. More than 60 medical conditions have been linked to obesity.
Some of the most common ailments linked to obesity:
- High blood pressure / hypertension
- High cholesterol
- Heart disease
- Some cancers, including breast, colon, and endometrial
- Liver and gallbladder disease
- Sleep apnea and respiratory problems
- Gynecological problems (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, abnormal periods, infertility)