Obesity is a Complicated Disease
Effectively losing weight and improving your health takes more than a “one-size-fits-all” approach. Obesity is a complex, chronic disease. There are different types of obesity and like any disease, there are many things that can affect it. That’s why it’s important to determine your individual factors that may be causing or contributing to your obesity.
Factors That Can Contribute to Obesity
- Lifestyle behaviors
- Internal and external stressors
- Circadian rhythms (cycles of your day, such as sleep and awake times) that can affect your metabolism and behavior
- Environmental factors, such as where you live and work
- Medicines that can cause abnormal metabolic functions
- Some illnesses, such as Cushing’s Disease or Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- Changes in your gut that affect how your body processes certain foods
No two patients are exactly alike in the factors that led to their obesity. That is why it’s crucial for our team of highly trained specialists to determine its root causes. We also understand that correcting it can be a difficult journey for our patients who may be experiencing stigma and bias due to their weight. We encourage our patients to educate themselves, get involved and help make a difference.