How to submit your application
The completed application packet must be submitted to DICAS in February for the April match notification date and in September for the November match notification date. Consult the DICAS website for exact deadlines. The Florida Hospital Dietetic Internship cohorts begin in July and January.
A handwritten writing sample of 400-500 words on any topic (different from your personal statement) and an application fee of $100 (check or money order made payable to "Florida Hospital") must be submitted by the DICAS deadline to:
Fran Mann MS, RDN
Director, Florida Hospital Orlando Dietetic Internship Program
Nutritional Services Administration
221 NE Lake Ivanhoe Blvd.
Orlando, Florida 32804
Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System (DICAS)
The FHODIP will be using the online centralized internship application (DICAS) which can be accessed at https://portal.dicas.org; email DICASinfo@DICAS.org. There is a separate fee to use DICAS application system.
Applicants must submit the following via the DICAS website:
- Personal Statement
- Reference letters below
- DPD Verification Statement (earned no more than 5 years earlier) or Intent to Complete
- Once accepted into Florida Hospital Orlando Dietetic Internship Program, the student will need to provide all official transcripts and Verification Statement at least 2 weeks prior to the start of the intern program.
Applicants who apply to internships using DICAS will be asked to complete a personal statement (required) of 1,000 words or less. Questions to be addressed in the personal statement include:
- Why do you want to enter the dietetics profession?
- What are some experiences that have helped to prepare you for your career?
- What are your short-term and long-term goals?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses or areas needing improvement?
- Why are you applying to the FHODIP?
- What qualities separate you from other applicants interested in a clinical focused internship program?
When completing the application form, applicants must include the name and contact information (specifically an e-mail address) for each reference. This will trigger an e-mail message requesting completion of a reference form. The form will be completed online. Students submitting more than one application will need to use the same references for all applications. For the FHODIP, you must submit 3 references, one from each of the following:
- DPD faculty (preferably the DP Director)
- Any other faculty
- Employment or volunteer reference*
*Personal references will not be accepted.
A current resume must be uploaded on the DICAS website.
Official transcripts from all colleges and universities should be sent to:
- DICAS - Transcript Dept., PO Box 9118, Watertown, MA 02472
Verification Statement or Intent to Complete:
This documentation must be submitted by your DPD Director.
All application materials become the property of the FHODIP and will not be returned.
Working during the Internship
Due to the intensity of the dietetic internship program, outside employment is not recommended. If a student decides to hold a job during the internship, it must not conflict or affect the effort needed to complete the internship. The external work situation should not infringe on the intern's ability to excel in classwork, to be prompt, rested and prepared for work experiences, and to handle the rigor of the internship. If weekend work is assigned, other work schedules need to be flexible. It is also important to remember that the internship includes homework assignments, concentration, and effort in addition to rotation hours of 40 hours per week.