For women, especially those breastfeeding, knowing these facts on breast infection can help patients avoid sickness and pain caused by infection. Learn the basic information on breast infection to begin a conversation with your doctor today:
- Breastfeeding is the most common cause of breast infection
- Other causes include cancer, blocked milk duct, diabetes, prior lumpectomy/radiation, and depressed immune system
- Treatment can include antibiotics and can be treated easily when diagnosed early.
- If left untreated, the infection can cause an abscess in the breast that must be drained.
- When breast infection often occurs, patients may be diagnosed with chronic subareolar absecess
Learn more about how to prevent and treat breast infection by speaking with a doctor.