There are several conditions related to blood transfusions that cause a decrease in the amount of blood in the body, but most fit under three categories: disease, surgery and trauma. If a patient is in need of a blood transfusion, Florida Hospital physicians will explain the condition and how it can be treated.
These are the most common reasons for a decrease in the amount of blood that may create the need for a blood transfusion:
- Sudden loss of blood due to trauma and bleeding
- Blood loss during surgery
- Low hemoglobin before/during/after surgery
- Kidney, lung, liver or heart disease
- A failure of the bone marrow to create blood cells
- Anemia that is moderate to severe
If you suspect you are at risk for these conditions, contact Florida Hospital to speak with physicians.