For people with diabetes, the holidays can bring some challenges with all the cookies, cakes, and pies that are shared. If you are planning to spend the holiday season with friends and family, you’ll need to be prepared. Do you have a strategy on how to make this time of celebration work with managing your diabetes? Make a plan before you get involved with sharing time with your friends and family during this season.
Here are some tips from the Diabetes & Endocrinology Institute at Florida Hospital Tampa:
- Anticipate what traditional foods may be part of your holiday meals. Volunteer to participate in preparations and include low calorie and healthy food options.
- Bring your meter with you and use it as a speedometer of your progress.
- Be aware of portion sizes and high fat deserts.
- Avoid overindulgence in food or beverages; it will be a lot harder to repair the damage to your blood sugars and waistline later!
- Include physical activity as part of your family fun! Plan a daily walk and get everyone involved.
We hope that everyone has a happy, safe and healthy holidays!