Summer is one of the most popular times for families to visit the beach. Swimming is a great way to exercise together as a family, but it is important to always keep safety in mind! As your family welcomes in the summer months and lots of beach fun, be sure to keep in mind these important tips for open water safety from theAmerican Academy of Pediatrics!
- Be sure to educate your family on rip currents, and what to do if they find themselves caught in one (swim parallel to shore until you escape the current, and then swim back to shore).
- Never swim alone! Even the best swimmers need a swimming buddy.
- An adult who knows about water safety should be watching kids who are in or near the water at all times. Younger children should never be more than an arm length away when near the water.
- Remind kids to never to dive into water except when permitted by an adult who knows the depth of the water and who has checked for underwater objects.
- Always be sure a lifeguard is on duty when your family is swimming in open water.
Are you looking for more fun ways to stay healthy as a family this summer? Click here to check out simple, fun tips from our Mission FIT POSSIBLE team!