When a patient or visitor is lonely, anxious or nervous during a hospital stay, pastoral care can provide spiritual and emotional support. As part of our holistic treatment philosophy, Florida Hospital Altamonte treats all aspects of a patient’s health—mind, body and spirit. Chaplains treats spiritual healing, an important part of a patient’s health.
What to Expect when Calling a Chaplain
Chaplains at Florida Hospital Altamonte are specially trained health care professionals who help patients cope with spiritual and emotional side effects of illness and injury. These experienced men and women are respectful of all faith traditions and are trained in these aspect of emotional support:
- Crisis Care
- Pastoral Counseling
- Empathy Therapy
- Emotional and Spiritual Support
- Grief Support
Chaplains provide spiritual guidance through prayer, rituals, sacraments and active listening. They can also connect patients to their personal religious communities for further support.
If you’re unsure about when to contact a chaplain, these are some of the common examples of the ways we provide spiritual support:
- Celebrating a joyous event, such as a birth
- Providing a blessing or baby blessing
- Providing support when patients are concerned about an impending surgery, fearful, anxious or depressed
- Performing a sacrament from your faith
- Counseling on an ethical concern (code status, respirator or feeding tube)
- Helping patients cope with a diagnosis, prolonged illness or deteriorating condition
- Providing spiritual support and guidance
- Supporting patients when experiencing difficulty with family or relationships
- Accompanying those who are near death
- Supporting family when a loved one has died
- Supporting families after a stillbirth or miscarriage
To contact a chaplain at Florida Hospital Altamonte 24 hours a day, simply request that a chaplain be paged from the hospital operator. If you are outside the hospital simply call (407) 303-2202. Florida Hospital Altamonte also provides spiritual programming to uplift and renew your mind, body and spirit on television channels 50-52.