The NeuroScience Institute Stroke Center at Florida Hospital Altamonte provides fast, life-saving treatment for stroke patients. Treatment administered within three hours of the stroke gives patients the best chance at a full recovery, so our neurology team has dedicated resources prepared to quickly intervene when patients need it most.
While quick treatment can save lives, many patients and their loved ones do not identify the signs of stroke fast enough to get the help necessary. Learn these easy-to-remember ways to identify the signs of stroke:
- Walk – Is the person’s balance off?
- Talk – Is speech slurred/face droopy?
- Reach – Is the person’s vision all or partly lost?
- Feel – Does the person have a severe headache?
OR the FAST System:
- F – Face: Ask he or she to smile. Does a side of the face droop?
- A – Arms: Ask he or she to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?
- S – Speech: Ask he or she to repeat a simple sentence. Are the words slurred/correct?
- T – Time: If you notice any of these symptoms (even for only a short time), call 911 immediately.
Florida Hospital Altamonte is dedicated to improving the health and wellness of stroke victims, and helping our patients avoid them completely through preventative care and education. High risk individuals should adopt diet and lifestyle modifications and see their doctor regularly to decrease the chance of developing a stroke. Risk factors of stroke include:
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- High cholesterol
- Atrial fibrillation
If you have any of the above risk factors, schedule an appointment with one of the Florida Hospital Altamonte neuroscience specialists to learn how to reduce your risk of stroke.