While the specific cause of cancer is still unknown, doctors say reducing patients’ risk of cancer can help in preventing adenocarcinomas. These are a few of the prevention techniques doctors at Florida Hospital recommend to maintain healthy, active lifestyles:
- Get regular screenings to catch tumors before they become cancerous and spread
- Eat a healthy diet
- Stop smoking
- Stay active/exercise
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Manage health conditions such as Crohn’s disease that may cause damage to the body
- Consider that effects of hormone replacement therapy and birth control pills
- Speak to your doctor regarding aspirin regiments and other medications that may inflame the GI tract.
- Get genetic screening to determine your risk of inheriting cancer
Stay vigilant for cancer. Even when these prevention techniques do not work, early detection is key to successful treatment.