Florida Hospital believes it is important for patients to make informed decisions about their health care. These facts and statistics on acute adrenal crisis help patients develop a good understanding of the causes and prevention techniques.
With a basic knowledge of this condition, patients can make better decisions, maintain improved overall wellness and avoid emergency conditions.
These are some basic facts about acute adrenal crisis:
- Patients with Addison’s disease, adrenal insufficiency and damage to the pituitary and adrenal glands are at the highest risk.
- The condition occurs when the adrenal gland does not produce enough cortisol, and essential hormone.
- This condition can become life threatening.
- Many of the symptoms mimic symptoms of other conditions, but must be taken seriously.
- If left untreated too long, patients can experience coma, seizures and shock.
The condition is quickly treated in the hospital.