For most patients, Florida Hospital physicians will not need tests to determine if you suffer from heartburn. If you have the symptoms of acid reflux, the doctor can determine the correct treatment for your specific condition.
For severe or chronic symptoms of acid reflux, our specialists can use the following tests to diagnose the severity of your condition and the correct treatment:
- EGD (Esophagogastroduodenoscopy)—a small instrument with a camera that helps doctors see damage in the esophagus, stomach or small intestine.
- X-rays of the upper GI tract
- Esophageal pH monitoring—a test to measure the length of time acid is in the esophagus
- Esophageal manometry—a test to measure the pressure of the muscle contractions in the esophagus
- For more advanced cases, a stool occult blood test can diagnose blood in the GI tract